Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Gewgaws, baubles...


The lovely and informative Mackenzie "Kenztronic" Firer-Sherwood told me that the word of today is "gewgaw." I learned what gewgaw meant a long time ago when playing my favorite esoteric word game, "Bethump'd with Words." I also knew that "bauble" is a synonym for "gewgaw" and I thought I'd look up what some of the OTHER words describing a "showy trinket" might be. As listed on www.dict.org [SO much better than dictionary.com], some of my favorites are:

cockhorse
folderol [a painkiller I haven't heard of? for laundry ladies? for filing clerks?]
frippery
gimcrack
kickshaw
knickknackery
shit [I'm not kidding]
teetotum
whatnot
whim-wham

Next time I go shopping at "Ross" I plan on acquiring much knickknackery. And at least one whim-wham.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home