Saturday, May 14, 2005

Slinky Experiment

Well, I'm drunk and a bunch of people were just here drinking before they went out to drink more, so now I'm alone in my house! The Slinky Toy came out during the "party" and I did an experiment with it after everyone left. I started the Slinky by dropping it down one stair, then two stairs, and then a maximum of three stairs to see how it would make it down my 11 steps.

Results:

When dropped from one stair, the Slinky jauntily made its way down the stairs, one step at a time. Almost like clockwork!

When dropped from two stairs, the Slinky made its way [less jauntily] down the stairs, but about 4 stairs from the bottom somehow reverted back to taking the stairs one step at a time!

When dropped from three stairs, the Slinky lurched down the stairs awkwardly until ONE step from the landing where it took the last step BY ONE. It regained its preferred "one by one" on the last step. I wondered if anyone else had done casual research on the Slinky Toy stair-spain preference, so I looked it up:

High school research:
http://home.messiah.edu/~barrett/slinky/home.html

Other research:
http://courses.ncssm.edu/hsi/miniterm2000/fallingslinky/mslinkydrops.htm

I don't really like physics.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home