Monday, March 21, 2005

How do I "wash out" my nose?

I have chronic sinusitis and someone told me to "wash out" my nose with salt water. There was no elaboration regarding the actual technique, so I looked it up:

A warm salt-water solution poured through the nose may offer some relief from both allergic and infectious sinusitis. A ceramic pot, known as a “neti lota” pot, makes this procedure easy. Alternatively, a small watering pot with a tapered spout may be used. Fill the pot with warm water and add enough salt so the solution tastes like tears. Stand over a sink, tilt your head far to one side so your ear is parallel to the floor, and pour the solution into the upper nostril, allowing it to drain through the lower nostril. Repeat on the other side. This procedure may be performed two or three times a day.
(http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1275000.html)

This person fashioned a nose-washing machine!

"Instead of a neti, I use a jerry-rigged waterpik as a pulsatile irrigation system. I got a Sinus Cleanse (http://www.unimedprod.com/) bottle from my doctor, cut off part of the tube with the head, cut the head of a waterpik, and used a section of aquarium airline as a gasket. It works really well, and the waterpik is supposed to stimulate better than a neti because the pulsing is supposed to be better for the cilia."

I can see a ton of shit going wrong with either one of these methods, and I'm really loathe to stick a teapot spout in my nostril, but if that crazy mathematician in the movie "Pi" can drill a hole through his skull to obliterate that "genius spot" of his, then I can surely run a little water through my nose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home